Re: [WriteLog] Can Ver 11 and Ver 12 Coexist?

To: <nosatisfaction@bellsouth.net>
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Can Ver 11 and Ver 12 Coexist?
From: "Bruce King" <bruce@regis-consulting.com>
Date: Sun, 28 Aug 2016 14:20:22 -0400

I run Ver 11 on a Win 7/64 box from the C:\ partition.  Can I install
Ver 12 in a separate partition without upsetting the existing setup?
This would be a fresh install, not an upgrade.

I would like to confirm that the answer is no, or that the work around
would be problematic and difficult at best.

I don't know anything about virtual machines but I'm willing to learn if
that approach provides a solution.

Ned K1GU

HI Ned,

How do you plan to run the different versions? Simultaneously, or only
one at a time? Will the separate partition be bootable?

Just installing Version 12 in a separate partition would not work since
it and Version 11 would likely collide with Writelog.ini,  Registry and
probably ProgramData folder conflicts. However, a dual boot from your
new partition would work, since the program folders and ProgramData
folders are recreated as completely separate entities on that partition.
But then, of course, it's an either/or choice.

Virtual machines would allow you to run both versions, one in each, but
each would need it's own dedicated communications (gear,RS232 & USB)
facilities to run at the same time. If it's either/or, then that would
likely work. I personally have not tried to bring up a Virtual Windows7
installation. The old XP version worked OK, but of course it's now
unsupported and you would have to use Version 11  with it, and that only
for as long as Writelog continues to support Version 11.

The more interesting question is why not just install Version 12 and
leave Version 11? Version 12 runs just fine under Windows7/64 here (or
did until I moved to Windows10, works there too). What problem does
Version 11 solve for you that 12 doesn't?

73 Bruce W1CSM

Bruce A. King

Regis Consulting Partners LLC

111 Coventry Wood Road