Re: [WriteLog] writelog remote

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] writelog remote
From: kostas sv1dpi <sv1dpi@otenet.gr>
Date: Fri, 22 Mar 2019 07:20:53 +0200
Hello Wayne and tnx for helping.

I solved my 2nd problem with the audio and you have right: the secret is the same sample rate. Me and my friend had not the same. So I can hear audio from my friend and writelog plays well.

With your help I found the solution for my 1st problem about the certification creation also! Abt your question, I get the message that crt created and I need to copy it in my control. But the certificate does not exist. In my writelog.ini under configuration is written

DataFiles=F:\WriteLog\datafiles

There is nothing in datafiles dir. Outside this directory, in F:/writelog/  there are 2 empty directories called datafilesprivate_key and datafilespublic_key. I saw them yesterday also but I didn't understand the problem. But today I noticed the missed \

This drived me to notice that the other directories have a slash at the end. So I added it and now looks like
DataFiles=F:\WriteLog\datafiles\

I saved and imported this ini in my writelog and now works! I can see the 2 crt files inside datafiles directory!

Tnx...

73 Kostas SV1DPI

Στις 22/3/2019 03:42, ο Wayne, W5XD έγραψε:
I am trying to setup writelog remote. I have made tests with a friend
(SV1DPJ) who uses also writelog and in my local network also. In my
local computer I can not create the crt file! I make all the procedure
in setup>remote, writelog says that crt file is created but nothing
happens really as the crt file does not exist in my computer neither
in default location or anywhere else! I can not understand what it
happens. I use windows 7, Greek version and the last writelog version.
Does "says that crt file is created" mean that it put up a DOS box on
your screen that prints out "this takes a long time"? If so, then it put
the crt files on your disk. It uses writelog.ini,
[configuration]datafiles to decide where to put them. Or did that DOS
box not appear? If it appears it takes many seconds or even several
minutes to generate a certificate.

Regarding Windows 7, I brought out an old machine to test WriteLog
Remote Control on Windows 7 and it worked OK. So Win7 is not the problem.

Regarding the failure when you click Start RX audio, the error messages
I admit are not helpful. However, they do tell me that (a) you have the
WriteLog Remote Control password and security certificate set up
correctly. That is the Control side machine is connected correctly to
the Remote and that is true for both the rig control and for audio.

(b)What is failing is specific to WriteLog's access to the Sound
Devices. In my Win7 testing where I tried to duplicate your errors, I
did not get the exact errors you got, but I did get the pair of error
messages when the two ends had incompatible sample rate setups. That is,
WriteLog's audio processing is affected very much by the settings in:
On either WIn7 or WIn10, there is a speaker icon on the task bar, by
default to the far right. CLick that speaker and then choose "Sounds".
In the tabbed dialog box that comes up, there is a "Playback" and a
"Recording" tab.

For your Remote side:
     Recording tab, find your RX audio device, go to Advanced and select
48000Hz for "shared rate"
     Playback tab, find your TX audio device, Advanced, 48000Hz

For your Control side,
     Recording tab, the device you have selected for Microphone, go to
Advanced, and set Shared rate 48000Hz
     Playback tab, device for your headphone audio, advanced tab, shared
rate, 48000

For all the above, the critical factor is setting them all the same.
44100 also works, as long as you use it everywhere. I also advise
turning WriteLog's "Exclusive" access check box OFF everywhere it
appears. This is on the control site audio setup page, and, on the
Remote site, its on the Sound Board Mixer control.

Once you get audio, you can try turning Exclusive back on to get better
performance, but that Exclusive button can run into permissions
problems. Your error messages might have to do with failing to get
exclusive access, or failing even to get shared access when some other
application has exclusive access already to the sound device.

Wayne