[WriteLog] Comment on setup for the upcoming WW Digi DX Contest

To: "Writelog List (writelog@contesting.com)" <writelog@contesting.com>
Subject: [WriteLog] Comment on setup for the upcoming WW Digi DX Contest
From: Keith Beebe W3KB <keith@w3kb.net>
Date: Fri, 2 Aug 2019 20:07:15 +0000
With the Version 12.42 update just posted, including the update to the WW Digi
DX contest rules in it, I did a test setup for that contest.  In that setup is
the use of DigiRite for the FT8 (and soon to be updated FT4) modes.

***I have a caution to pass along***    Because FT8 and FT4 use the rig setting
of USB....Ex: 14074 khz USB....that means the .WAV files that anyone has setup
for a SSB contest will unfortunately be sent on the FT8 or FT4 frequencies if
one hits say F4 to transmit your call.

Unless I'm missing something,  the F Keys will NOT be used in this particular
contest because all of the sending will be controlled by DigiRite.

Therefore, to keep from making a mistake and transmitting a voice .WAV file on
the FT8 and FT4 frequencies (not good), I have gone to Setup > Document
Settings > CW/RTTY/SSB messages > SSB and then DELETED the various <msg#.wav>
listings and saved the setup.

That way it no longer sends a voice message (Ex.  Callsign on the F4 key).

Yes, I did this once, by accident, so that is why I wrote this procedure.  I
don't want it to happen (transmitting a voice SSB message on FT8 or FT4
frequencies) to me or anyone else during the upcoming WW Digi DX contest.

73,

Keith W3KB