Re: [WriteLog] Upgrade to Windows 11 -- Band Map Gone!

To: writelog@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [WriteLog] Upgrade to Windows 11 -- Band Map Gone!
From: Bob Schreibmaier via WriteLog <writelog@contesting.com>
Date: Sat, 18 May 2024 22:08:32 -0400
This is very good info!  I changed those on all the COM ports that showed such
options.  There were four of them.
Thanks!

There are two COM ports that are used to control the IC-7610 over a USB
connection that don't have these particular
options.  However, they have advanced settings to "Use FIFO buffers (requires 16550
compatible UART)".  What are
the best settings for this?  Should this be checked at all?  If so, what are
the best settings for receive and
transmit buffers?  BTW, I use CW keying of the IC-7610 over the COM3 port.

Thanks in advance for any help.  You all are a GREAT resource!

73 de Bob, K3PH

Bob, K3PH wrote:
BTW, Windows 11 thought we should be able to put the two COM ports that
control the IC-7610 to sleep.? Seems like a bad idea to me.? ?

This is a Winderz bug that has bitten me several times even with Win10. The
solution is to open Device Manager and change every COM port and click on
Port Settings and then Advanced.

De-select "Serial Enumerator" and then select "Disable Modem DCtrl at
Startup".

The other thing I needed to do is to set EVERY USB hub
Power Management
De-select "Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power"

I hope this helps.
FWIW, I also had that blank bandmap problem upgrading to Win11 but a
re-install fixed it.

73, Alan AD6E / KH6TU