[Yaesu] FT-1000MP First Impressions on 160

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-1000MP First Impressions on 160
From: n6tv@VNET.IBM.COM (Robert A. Wilson ((415) 335-2265))
Date: Sun, 16 Mar 97 16:08:02 PST
Ref:  Your note of Sat, 15 Mar 1997 13:06:31 -0500 (EST)

> front end seems very tight with absolutely no hints of overload...yet.
> Waiting for a humongous 160 pileup for the acid test!

Performance gets noticeably better when you add the additional filters.

> the SPOT tone sounds like a square wave compared to the transmit tone
> through MONI.  Not good for zero-beating when you have bad distortion
> in the SPOT tone.  Anyone know of a fix for this?

No fix available, but your ears quickly get used to the MONI tone.  Two
alternatives:

  1. Spot by transmitting with RF PWR turned all the way down
  2. Put a dummy load on Ant B and choose Ant B for spotting (just
     hit the paddle with MONI on, then press A/B again).

> I'm not sure I like the STEREO 1 audio.  The main RX still sounds shifted
> to my left ear even when NOT using the sub RX.  Is this is normal or am
> I going deaf in one ear after all these years on 160?

You are not going deaf, mine sounds the same.  Most people never
notice it.  The left headphone definitely gets a little more volume
than the right.  Choosing Stereo 1, Stereo 2, or Mono makes no
difference if you are using stereo headphones.  It may be difficult
for us to convince Yaesu that this problem is worth fixing.  But it
IS a problem.

> Does anyone know the orientation for the 500 HZ sub RX filter?
> I installed it with the lettering upside down but wonder if anyone
> knows the correct orientation for certain.

Lettering upside down is correct choice.  That is, the lettering
orientation should match the orientation on the big SubRx board.

Does your S-meter jump to full scale when you select 500 Hz?
Sometimes this problem can be fixed by reversing one or more
filters, but not always.

73,
Bob, N6TV

--