[Yaesu] FT-1000MP First Impressions on 160

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-1000MP First Impressions on 160
From: tgstewart@pepco.com (tgstewart@pepco.com)
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 1997 08:35:46 -0400

To:   k3mm@erols.com, n6tv@VNET.IBM.COM, yaesu@contesting.com
cc:    (bcc: Tyler G Stewart/BENN/CEC)
Subject:  Re: [Yaesu] FT-1000MP First Impressions on 160

After thinking about what Yaesu is trying to achieve with the
Low-Band preamp, I concluded the following:

--the Low-Band preamp is primarily for cases where there are strong
local out-of-band (i.e. out of 1.8-7.5 MHz) signals which are causing
interference.  Examples would be very close proximity to Broadcast
stations, multi-multis, etc.

--the Flat preamp is about 10 dB more sensitive than the Low-Band
preamp on 160.

--for very strong in-band IMD problems (i.e. a 160 contest), IPO is the
solution independent of whether Tuned or Flat is selected, since it
bypasses either preamp.  I still have yet to hear my first IMD product
using Flat and I listened during a fairly good pileup on ZS8IR the
other evening, so the front end without IPO is fairly good.

**Theoretically, the Tuned position on the low bands (80 & 160) should
provide even better intermod
**response than the IPO setting, as that preamp has additional BP filtering
 in it BEFORE the mild amplifier
**that it contains, although I've never noticed a situation where I really
needed it.  The low band
**performance is already quite good, as it goes through a relay-switched
band-specific LP or HP filter,
**then a PIN diode selected bandpass filter section, and then through
whichever preamp (or lack thereof)
**you select!

My plans are to use Flat everywhere except 10 meters, where the Hi-Band
preamp has significantly more gain than the Flat preamp.

**Yeah, it's too bad they didnt make the low-noise preamp available on 20
and 15 for those quiet nights
**over-the-pole!  However, it's still better than the older 1000.

73, Tyler K3MM

--
FAQ on WWW:               http://www.primenet.com/~ke7gh/yaesu.html