[Yaesu] YAESU FRG-9600 Rcvr

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] YAESU FRG-9600 Rcvr
From: par@magg.net (Dale R. Parfitt)
Date: Sun, 14 Sep 1997 09:48:51 -0400
Marty Raine wrote:

> Wondering if someone on this list can help...??? if this is the place
> ask?? I have an FRG-9600 VHF/UHF Rcvr 60-905 Mhz continuous. When I
> bought it from a local ham shop the tech said that there was an
> after-market add-on converter to extend the coverage down to include
> the
> 6 meter ham band 50-54 Mhz. I asked him to enquire thru Yaesu...and he
>
> got no results...the rcvr is not a current model, etc. Ugh!
> Anyone here have any info on this converter's availability?
>
> Thanks
> Marty
> VE6TS
> Edmonton
> Alberta
>
> --
> FAQ on WWW:               http://www.qsl.net/k7on/yaesu.html
> Submissions:              yaesu@contesting.com
> Administrative requests:  yaesu-REQUEST@contesting.com
> Problems:                 owner-yaesu@contesting.com

  Hi Marty,

It's even better than what you were told! A .1 MHz-60 MHz up converter
was described in October 1985 Ham Radio Magazine. It uses a 100 MHz
L.O.. So to tune 40 meters, you enter 107.000 and voila. I built mine
with a custom PC board that plugged into one of the vacant slots in the
edge connectors inside the radio- other slot is taken up by the video
card- a rare item. Anyway, there is already a hole punched for a secon
SO239 connector on the back apron. As  I recall, it is covered by
plastic. A small spare hole in the back is where I put a miniature
toggle switch. It puts power to the converter and changes antennas over.
I did not save my artwork for the booard but FAR circuits still makes a
board for this project. I have not ssen theirs, so I don't know if it
would fit inside the rig. The original article was an outboard
converter.
There has also been some debate on one of the scanner reflectors as to
wheteher the CPU could be tricked into going lower w/ the addition of
other L.O's- to the best of my knowledfge, noone has accomplished this
neat trick yet.

FAR's web site is  http://www.cl.ais.net/farcir
The PCB is $8.

Dale