[Yaesu] FT847 LONG

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT847 LONG
From: jim@exis.net (Jim Thompson)
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 1999 22:57:53 -0500
Steve,
I'm making a general post of this message because there may be some fellows
out there who are not familiar with the FT-847.  I hope the rest of you
fellows don't mind my ramblings.

To provide some background, my main station consists of a FT-1000MP (all
filters, no Inrad mod yet) driving an AL-1500.  I use an external DSP with
the MP.  I also run a fully Sherwoodized (all filters including the separate
USB and LSB first i.f filters) R-4C/T-4XC, as well as a room full of Collins
gear.

The road to the FT-847 started when I purchased a Kachina 505.  That's a
great rig, but couldn't get used to the interface.  I just have to have
knobs!  So, with the proceeds from the Kachina, I purchased the FT-847.
I've had it for about two months and I really like it.  I do have to say the
'847 is no MP.  But, for 95% of my operation, it does just fine.  For
anything short of very serious DX'ing and contesting, I don't think the '847
will fail to make a decent showing.  I don't know how it compares with other
rigs in it's price class because I generally buy top-of-the line rigs or
close seconds.  I bought my Ft-847 in anticipation of the Phase 3-D
satellite launch.  Also, they were giving away the matching tuner free as an
inducement at the time of my purchase.  All that qualifying stuff said, I
like the '847.

There is a lot to like with this little rig.  The wide frequency coverage is
obvious.  160 m - 70 cm minus the "who cares 220 MHz band" is attractive.
We'll see how well it does with the new satellite if they ever get it in
orbit.  Until then, it's a HF, VHF, UHF multimode rig.  However, my
interests lie solely below 30 MHz.  For me, until that satellite goes up,
this is a HF rig.  It sits in my office, next to my computer and I listen to
the bands as I work.  It's hundred watts into a RADIO WORKS' SuperLoop 80
nets a lot of DX.

There are some inconveniences after you have used rigs like the MP.
However, one copes.  You get used to the features you have.

I have to report that the '847 has a hot receiver, with adequate selectivity
on SSB.  The DSP is OK for all but serious CW.  I'm going to add the 500 Hz
filter soon.  The 25 Hz DSP filter is really effective, though the 100 and
200 Hz bandwidths are more practical.  I'm sure the CW DSP will be even more
effective when the 500 Hz i.f. filter is installed.  You can switch between
USB and LSB CW operation.  This is a nice feature to those of us who like
the CW LSB so that the CW note rises as you tune the receiver up in
frequency.

The SSB filters are not bad for ceramic types.  The specs. are acceptable.
The receiver audio is quite pleasant when using a quality external speaker.
I think this is largely due to the clean passband response of the ceramic
filter and the attendant absence of "group-delay" distortion and such.
Filter selection is one bandwidth for SSB, one for CW.  The passband tuning
is just that - no double PBT with bandwidth and offset adjustments.  It's
straight, single filter, passband tuning, just like in the 75A-4, Drake R-4
series, TS-820 (et. all).  The menu system is far more intuitive than the
MP's.  Maybe because there are fewer functions.  The readout is very
readable, but plain.  You might like it or hate it.  There's no
razzle-dazzle with this readout.  Unlike similar rigs (i.e., the Icom 706
comes to mind, though it's a cheaper radio) Yaesu put knobs on this rig.
Most of their functions make perfect sense.  The pushbuttons are a bit small
for my large fingers, but it is not a problem.  The one Hertz readout is
interesting.

I have not made measurements, so these are just impressions.

Receiver Audio - abundant and has a nice sound.

DSP - lousy, just like most other rigs.  Doesn't come close to external
DSP's in effectiveness or function.

AGC - attack time too slow.  Can cause some DSP distortion.  It's better in
the fast position.

Noise Reduction - works, but not as well as external DSP.

DSP notch - a bit slow notching a signal, but once locked on, it will
eliminate a S-9 carrier or CW signal.

Digital Filter - same story.  External is better.  But, it's there, so I use
it.

Noise blanker - the jury is out on this one.  I don't think it's very good
on 6 meters.

Speech Processor - not adjustable, but reports have been very acceptable,
even with the hand mic.  So, it must have been set correctly at the factory.
It is RF speech processing.

Automatic tuner - fully integrated.  Does it's job.  Wish there was and SWR
indication.

Tuning rate - about 1 KHz per turn.  Nice since you have shuttle-jog to get
around fast.

Well, I could go on, but most of you have probably deleted this message by
now.  To sum it up.  It's a nice little rig.  Does everything fairly well,
nothing perfectly.  But, what does.  With some of the threads about the MP,
you'd think that rig was a piece of junk.  I could live with the '847 as my
only rig if I had to.  However, if I didn't want the satellite functions for
later use, I'd choose my favorite rig, the TS-930SAT as a backup
transceiver.  They are incredible performers and if you can find a good one,
they're available for about $750 these days.

Hope this helps, Steve.
73,
Jim, W4THU