[Yaesu] Re: Yaesu FT-847 Long

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Re: Yaesu FT-847 Long
From: jim@exis.net (Jim Thompson)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 01:09:13 -0500
Steve,
I'm making a general post of this message because there may be some fellows
out there who are
not familiar with the FT-847. I hope the rest of you fellows don't mind my
ramblings.
To provide some background, my main station consists of a FT-1000MP (all
filters, no Inrad
mod yet) driving an AL-1500. I use an external DSP with the MP. I also run a
fully
Sherwoodized (all filters including the separate USB and LSB first i.f
filters) R-4C/T-4XC, as
well as a room full of Collins gear.

The road to the FT-847 started when I purchased a Kachina 505. That's a
great rig, but couldn't
get used to the interface. I just have to have knobs! So, with the proceeds
from the Kachina, I
purchased the FT-847. I've had it for about two months and I really like it.
I do have to say the
'847 is no MP. But, for 95% of my operation, it does just fine. For anything
short of very serious
DX'ing and contesting, I don't think the '847 will fail to make a decent
showing. I don't know
how it compares with other rigs in its price class because I generally buy
top-of-the line rigs or
close seconds. I bought my Ft-847 in anticipation of the Phase 3-D satellite
launch. Also, they
were giving away the matching tuner free as an inducement at the time of my
purchase. All that
qualifying stuff said, I like the '847.

There is a lot to like with this little rig. The wide frequency coverage is
obvious. 160 m - 70 cm
minus the "who cares 220 MHz band" is attractive. We'll see how well it does
with the new
satellite if they ever get it in orbit. Until then, it's a HF, VHF, UHF
multimode rig. However, my
interests lie solely below 30 MHz. For me, until that satellite goes up,
this is a HF rig. It sits in
my office, next to my computer and I listen to the bands as I work. Its
hundred watts into a
RADIO WORKS' SuperLoop 80 nets a lot of DX.

There are some inconveniences after you have used rigs like the MP. However,
one copes. You
get used to the features you have.

I have to report that the '847 has a hot receiver, with adequate selectivity
on SSB. The DSP is OK
for all but serious CW. I'm going to add the 500 Hz filter soon. The 25 Hz
DSP filter is really
effective, though the 100 and 200 Hz bandwidths are more practical. I'm sure
the CW DSP will
be even more effective when the 500 Hz i.f. filter is installed. You can
switch between USB and
LSB CW operation. This is a nice feature to those of us who like the CW LSB
so that the CW
note rises as you tune the receiver up in frequency.

The SSB filters are not bad for ceramic types. The specs. are acceptable.
Ultimate rejection is OK, but twin filter receivers are better in this
respect.   The receiver audio is quite pleasant when using a quality
external speaker. I think this is largely due to the clean passband response
of the ceramic filter and the attendant absence of "group-delay" distortion
and such. Filter selection is one bandwidth for SSB, one for CW. The
passband tuning is just that - no double PBT with bandwidth and offset
adjustments. It's straight, single filter, passband  tuning, just like in
the 75A-4, Drake R-4 series, TS-820 (et. all). The menu system is far more
intuitive than the MP's. Maybe because there are fewer functions. The
readout is very readable, but plain. You might like it or hate it. There's
no razzle-dazzle with this readout. Unlike similar rigs (i.e., the Icom 706
comes to mind, though it's a cheaper radio) Yaesu put knobs on this rig.
Most of their functions make perfect sense. The pushbuttons are a bit small
for my large fingers,  but it is not a problem. The one Hertz readout is
interesting.   For those into computer control, I understand that the F6DEX
software will control both rigs.  If true, and simultaneous operation is
possible, that would be quite a nice situation.

I have not made measurements, so these are just impressions.

Sensetivity - Well above band noise with the RF amp turned on.  The
attenuator is useful on 75 meters.

Selectivity - Just fine for most operation.  Optional filters would be
helpful under some condtions.  I plan to pull the appropriate Yaesu filters
out of my MP and put them in the FT-847.  Then replace the empty filter
slots in the MP with Inrad filters.

Receiver Audio - abundant and has a nice sound through a good external
speaker.

DSP - lousy, like most other rigs. Doesn't come close to external DSP's in
effectiveness or function.

AGC - attack time too slow. Can cause some DSP distortion. It's better in
the fast position.

Noise Reduction - works, but not as well as external DSP.

DSP notch - a bit slow notching a signal, but once locked on, it will
eliminate a S-9 carrier or CW signal.

Digital Filter - same story. External is better. But, it's there, so I use
it.

Noise blanker - the jury is out on this one. I don't think it's very good on
6 meters.

Speech Processor - not adjustable, but reports have been very acceptable,
even with the hand
mic. So, it must have been set correctly at the factory. It is RF speech
processing.

Automatic tuner - just received it.  Pluged it in and it's fully integrated.
Does it's job. Wish there was and SWR indication.  It's interesting to note
that when you place the transceiver, its antenna tuner and the external
power supply togehter, this rig is bigger than my MP.

Tuning rate - about 1 KHz per turn. Nice since you have shuttle-jog to get
around fast.

Well, I could go on, but most of you have probably deleted this message by
now. To sum it up.
It's a nice little rig. Does everything fairly well, nothing perfectly. But,
what does. With some of
the threads about the MP, you'd think that rig was a piece of junk. I could
live with the '847 as
my only rig if I had to. However, if I didn't want the satellite functions
for later use, I'd choose
my favorite rig, the TS-930SAT as a backup transceiver. They are incredible
performers and if
you can find a good one, they're available for about $750 these days.
Hope this helps, Steve.
73,
Jim, W4THU