[Yaesu] Re: [CQ-Contest] FT-920 advice- Thanks

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Re: [CQ-Contest] FT-920 advice- Thanks
From: baycock@hiwaay.net (Bill Aycock)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 23:11:04 -0600
To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
>Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 23:07:02 -0600
>To: "Milt Jensen, N5IA" <miltj@aepnet.com>
>From: Bill Aycock <baycock@hiwaay.net>
>Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] FT-920 advice- Thanks
>
>Milt- Thanks for taking the trouble to give me your input.  However, I am
puzzled by a couple of differences between what you report and what I have
seen and read..  My comments are below, next to the section I am puzzled
about. (I have snipped some, to keep it short)

>At 08:50 PM 03/18/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>>Bill,
>>        One of the transceivers provided by Yaesu for the XZ1N DXpedition
>>to Myanmar last fall was the FT-920.
>>        In brief, no member of the seasoned group of operators was
>>impressed by the operation or    of the FT-920.
>>        To start with, the unit does not have VOX.  The only way to key the
>>radio without the hand microphone is the front panel MOX button.
>
>The panel clearly has a vox button, and both the brochure and the QST
review (Oct 97, pg 72) mention that the vox is a part of the DSP system.
Are you sure they didnt cut it off by use of the menu? or- not set the menu
entries to set delay and gain for vox?

>>        It does not have any extra filters or facility for adding extra
>>filters. This lack was extremely evident during the CQ WW CW contest and
>>the many times this radio was used on CW during the tree week stint in
Yangon.

>There are two extra filters as options for the set- one each for SSB and
CW- and- IRAD has some for it, as well.

>>It was never used on 160, 80, or 40 Meters as it has no facility for a
>>separate receive antenna input.
>
>The radio has two Rx/Tx connectors on the back, for two antennas, and a
separate Rx only port, as well. The two are std SO239 ports, and I think
the Rx only is an RCA.  It is mentioned as ideal for a Beverage, or a pre-amp.

>>        If you would like a deeper analysis of various other deficiencies
>>and shortcomings, E-mail me and I will put you in touch with the individual
>>that did the in depth wring out of the radio.  This includes the CW and
>>computer interface, the receiver analysis, and the amplifier interface.
>
>In view of the differences between what you say and what I read as
features, I think it would be a good Idea for me to follow up on this
offer, if you will do so

>>        73, es GL de Milt, N5IA
>
>Thanks- Bill- W4BSG (Puzzled, but willing to pursue this.)

-
Bill Aycock   ---   Persimmon Hill
 Woodville, Alabama, US 35776
 (in the N.E. corner of the State)