[Yaesu] Re: [CQ-Contest] FT-920 advice- Thanks

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] Re: [CQ-Contest] FT-920 advice- Thanks
From: kf9yh@netnitco.net (Bob)
Date: Thu, 18 Mar 1999 23:15:13 -0600

>Bill,
>        One of the transceivers provided by Yaesu for the XZ1N DXpedition
>to Myanmar last fall was the FT-920.
>        In brief, no member of the seasoned group of operators was
>impressed by the operation or    of the FT-920.
>        To start with, the unit does not have VOX.

Milt, my 920 has VOX on it and it works absolutely beautifully
with my Heil headset. You sure you had a 920???

>        It does not have any extra filters or facility for adding extra
>filters. This lack was extremely evident during the CQ WW CW contest and
>the many times this radio was used on CW during the tree week stint in
Yangon.

You can add a 400hz or 250 hz CW filter, and has the narrow button right
up front....

>It was never used on 160, 80, or 40 Meters as it has no facility for a
>separate receive antenna input.

I really am beginning to think you guys did not have a 920. Not
only does it have a receive input with an RCA jack on the back,
but it also has a second SO-239 for antenna "B"........

>        I would not recommend this transceiver as a serious DXpedition
>radio nor as a serious contest radio.

My 920 is in no way related to the one you guys had :)

Bob - KF9YH