[Yaesu] FT-920 problem

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT-920 problem
From: John Langridge" <kb5njd@arrl.net (John Langridge)
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2002 21:12:47 -0600

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C1B72E.AF821100

Greetings all!

I have owned an ft-920 for almost a year now.  I purchased one used, in =
mint condition and I knew for a fact that it had very little use.

After a few weeks of use, I noticed that the power would drop on all =
bands after the unit had been on for a while.  The power drops were most =
notable on 10,15 and 40 meters.  The power drops were from 100watts at =
power up down to 50 watts after heating up (10-20 minutes without =
transmitting, 5 minutes if transmitting).  It is also important to note =
that the SWR is registering 1:1 at the points where my antennas are =
resonant and the tuner is not in line.  Putting the tuner in line where =
the SWR is high takes care of the SWR but does not seem to effect the =
power problem.

I had the unit worked on by Houston Amateur Supply and they did a good =
job... They didnt find a lot wrong with it, but did align a few things =
and did replace a few suspect components, none of which I know of at =
this time - Thats what they told me, anyway, and I have no reason to =
doubt it.

About 1 week ago, I started noticing the same problem again.  After =
turning the rig off for only 10 minutes and powering back up, the max =
power returns to 100 watts... It seems obvious that a component is =
crapping out as it heats up, but where do I start in trying to find it?  =
My intial thoughts tell me to get a can of electronics grade freon and =
see if I can find the intermittent component, but the FT-920 is a big =
rig and that could be quite difficult... I do not have access to a =
technicians manual right now...

any ideas?

Thanks in advance...

John KB5NJD
Duncanville, Texas
EM12np

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C1B72E.AF821100

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Greetings all!</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I have owned an ft-920 for almost a =
year now.&nbsp;=20
I purchased one used, in mint condition and I knew for a fact that it =
had very=20
little use.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>After a few weeks of use, I noticed =
that the power=20
would drop on all bands after the unit had been on for a while.&nbsp; =
The power=20
drops were most notable on 10,15 and 40 meters.&nbsp; The power drops =
were from=20
100watts at power up down to 50 watts after heating up (10-20 minutes =
without=20
transmitting, 5 minutes if transmitting).&nbsp; It is also important to =
note=20
that the SWR is registering 1:1 at the points where my antennas are =
resonant and=20
the tuner is not in line.&nbsp; Putting the tuner in line where the SWR =
is high=20
takes care of the SWR but does not seem to&nbsp;effect the power=20
problem.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>I had the unit worked on by Houston =
Amateur Supply=20
and they did a good job... They didnt find a lot wrong with it, but did =
align a=20
few things and did replace a few suspect components, none of which I =
know of at=20
this time - Thats what they told me, anyway, and I have no reason to =
doubt=20
it.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>About 1 week ago, I started noticing =
the same=20
problem again.&nbsp; After turning the rig off for only 10 minutes and =
powering=20
back up, the max power returns to 100 watts... It seems obvious that a =
component=20
is crapping out as it heats up, but where do I start in trying to find =
it?&nbsp;=20
My intial thoughts tell me to get a can of electronics grade freon and =
see if I=20
can find the intermittent component, but the FT-920 is a big rig and =
that could=20
be quite difficult... I do not have access to a technicians manual right =

now...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>any ideas?</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Thanks in advance...</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>John KB5NJD</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Duncanville, Texas</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>EM12np</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV></BODY></HTML>

------=_NextPart_000_000E_01C1B72E.AF821100--

Sign Up for NetZero Platinum Today