[Yaesu] FT1kD Internal Electronic Keyer

To: <yaesu@contesting.com>
Subject: [Yaesu] FT1kD Internal Electronic Keyer
From: wa.tworsx@verizon.net (Vince)
Date: Fri, 27 Dec 2002 06:21:35 -0500
Hello Group:

Santa brought me a Bencher BY-2; my very first set of paddles, ever !

Causes me to have one or two questions about the radio's internal keyer
operation.

[1]    Where can I read information (on the Internet, perhaps) about
timing/spacing for forming Morse coded characters?  The manual for the
FT1kD provides a table of data for Keyer Weight Settings, but I need to
know why I would want to change from the 1:3 ratio.   Which setting
might allow me to operate the electronic keyer and paddles easier?

[2]    Has anyone done any investigation of the electronic keyer timing
that would provide a correlation of the hash marks that are present
around the SPEED control knob with words per minute? What is the minimum
and maximum wpm speeds available from this keyer and what is the
incremental change between each hash mark on the front panel next to the
SPEED control knob ?

I suppose that I should first locate and read information about
generating correctly timed/spaced Morse Code characters, and I will
attempt a GOOGLE search.  I have been generating Morse Code characters
with use of a Vibroplex Original Standard bug for more than 41 years;
and now I want to learn to do that correctly with use of a dual lever
set of paddles and the FT1kD electronic keyer.

Thanks for reading this and for any informational help.

73 and Have Fun;  I am with my new toy!.
de ~ Vince ~
WA2RSX   IOTA   NA-026