Re: [Yaesu] FT990 display

To: yaesu@contesting.com
Subject: Re: [Yaesu] FT990 display
From: Peter Sundberg <sm2cew@telia.com>
Date: Sun, 11 Sep 2005 13:22:05 +0000
I followed Kjells advice below and removed the filter in front of the
display on my FT990 and sure enough, the display has plenty of brilliance.
Two notches up on the brightness control is plenty enough.

Actually, I think that the filter itself has changed over the years and
degraded to the point where it is now letting less and less light through.
When I hold it up against the window there is not much daylight coming
through it at all.

A bit hesitant to cut the filter like Kjell has done, I will try making a
new one on a colour laser printer using plastic film. I can then experiment
with with different grades of fill on the plastic film, and different
colour shades. As it all sits behind a very sturdy plastic front panel I
see no problem to use the somewhat more flimsy film.

Anyhow, my suspicion that the acutal fluorescent tube had deteriorated
badly proved to be wrong, this in itself is the best news I could get.

73/Peter SM2CEW