CQ-Contest

Re: [CQ-Contest] Get Rid of the Assisted Category

To: <cq-contest@contesting.com>
Subject: Re: [CQ-Contest] Get Rid of the Assisted Category
From: "Paul O'Kane" <pokane@ei5di.com>
Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 18:40:49 -0000
From: "Robert Naumann" <w5ov@w5ov.com>
To: "'Dave Lawley'" <g4buo@compuserve.com>; <cq-contest@contesting.com>

I agree with Dave G4BUO that there's a fundamental
difference between SO and SO-Assisted entry classes,
and I have no inclination to support contests which
do not recognise this.

> I would suggest that we change the concept to one
> of Single Operator "Networked" instead of "assisted".
> I think someone else suggested that word ..

Yes, I suggested "Single-Op Networked" in
http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/cq-contest/2006-December/071460.html

The idea was to distinguish between "Assistance" (using
public spotting networks) and all other forms of assistance.

Further, to distinguish between other forms of assistance
that compromise the concept of single-op, and those that
do not, I proposed the term "External Assistance" in
http://lists.contesting.com/pipermail/cq-contest/2006-November/071164.html

Here's an extract -

   External assistance is “information from any source,
   other than that in the possession of the operator at
   the starting time of the contest, sought or acted upon
   with the intent or potential to increase the operator’s
   score".

   Exception: Information obtained by the operator in the
   normal course of listening and logging on the band(s)
   and mode(s) corresponding to the operator's entry class
   is not external assistance.

I can already see ways to improve that definition :-)

The concept of external assistance leads to these SO
definitions -

Single-Op.  An individual not availing of logging,
operating, or external assistance.

Single-Op Networked.  An individual not availing of
logging, operating or external assistance other than
public spotting networks.

Note that the use of a private spotting network by a
"Single-Op Networked" entrant would mean the entry
should be reclassified as Multi-Op.

If we had an acceptable definition for "external
assistance" we'd be nearly finished - that's a big if!

73,
Paul EI5DI