CQ-Contest

[CQ-Contest] antennas, locations

To: cq-contest@contesting.com
Subject: [CQ-Contest] antennas, locations
From: K3BU@aol.com
Date: Mon, 28 Nov 2005 11:32:30 EST
Just saw posting on TowerTalk reflector by Dennis O'Connor about the
differences between vertical and horizontal antennas at
http://lists.contesting.com/_towertalk/2005-11/msg00758.html

He is describing perhaps known effects between antennas with horizontal and
vertical polarization. For those not aware of this effect, it is an eye opener
and any serious little pistol or aspiring big gun should be aware of it. At
the times it can mean huge difference in signals and getting through the pileup
or rare one. Even loaded verticals with elevated current distribution
(http://www.k3bu.us/loadingcoils.htm) and located at the water's edge can
perform
remarkably. Half sloper from the hotel balcony (as C6AYB) and IC706 can do
wonders
like beating world LP record.

I have been checking out the phenomena, especially when at the oceanfront
beach after the K2KW and 6Y5 exploits. I was surprised and impressed with he
results as N2EE/4 on 10m from Cape Hatteras and lately on low bands from NJ
shores. VY2ZM got the idea too and combined with some  super antennas forged
ahead
to creaming the 160m world record in CQ WW CW (and my NA) -:(

Definitely, the future during the low sunspots and low bands is at the
beaches. So for the location or resources challenged, there is the option of
putting
up vertical (arrays), going to the beach domestically or DX places. That
spells more contest fun, rather than inventing personal categories. Single band
operation for those OF who can't hack 48 hours in the saddle is another fun
option for cracking some records.

I have been working on switchable, dual polarization antenna designs for the
beaches and looking forward to some serious operating from the old Ocean Gate
AT&T 175 acre Rhombic farm by Tesla RC N2EE, NT1E soon.

Congrats to Jeff, K1ZM, VY2ZM for superb station building and piloting it to
record scores. Let's wait for his blow-by-blow commentary on 160m CW record
crushing.
(Where were 6Y5 verticals?)

73 and thanks for points!

Yuri, K3BU.us