WA4ZXA CQWW SSB Story

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: WA4ZXA CQWW SSB Story
From: floydjr@interpath.com (Jimmy R. Floyd)
Date: Tue, 29 Oct 1996 13:03:05 -0400
This is my first attempt at writing one of these so bear with me. I never
really had a score to talk about till this weekend.

First the breakdown:

WA4ZXA  S/OP/LP

Band     Qso's    Qso's Pts   Pts/Qso   Zones   Countries

160       33         67        2.03       9        23
 80       61        145        2.38      12        39
 40      120        324        2.70      20        62
 20      390       1093        2.80      33       106
 15      415       1181        2.85      27       105
 10       86        241        2.80      10        29

Totals  1105       3051        2.76     111       364

Score = 1,449,225

Here is the main reason for such an improvement over last year with my
scores:

1995 Antennas                   1996 Antennas
5 Element Tribander @40'        5 Element 15Meter @95'
40 Meter Slopers @30'           4 Element 20Meter @85'
75 Meter Dipole @30'            40 Meter Inverted V @70'
160 Inverted L Apex @40'        75 Meter Inverted V @70'
                                160 Meter Sloper @70'
                                5 Element Tribander @40'

Now I do admit this is no super station but it is about all I can do on my
lot. A lot of work and planning went into the new system and I am just glad
it paid off.

Another thing which I feel play a very big part was the fact that I worked
both CQWW RTTY a month before and the JARTS RTTY contest the weekend
before. I have said this before and will say it again, these two contests
are the best tuneups you can have. Also it showed me a lot about how the
bands where acting. Most of you have computers and all you need is a TNC
to work RTTY. They also have a fine piece of software to contest with also.

Now to the story. I almost quit by Saturday morning. I worked all but 1
hour the first night and made about 200 Q's. I would hear stations that
were 10 over and I would call and call. It made me think all the work was
for naught. Then Sat. morning I got on 20 and had a small run and it really
picked my spirits up. Finally 15 open and I went there. Anything to get off
20. A low power station is fighting an uphill battle on 20 trying to run.
I used to be able to slip up above 300 and find a spot but low and behold
who am I hearing up there now but the big guns. Yes I did hear several MM
stations calling CQ above 300.

There is really no need to give you a band breakdown and bore you with a lot
of stuff. I basically just switched as I felt the bands would be open.
>From what I learned again from the previous contests. I was able to find
some clear freqs by Saturday afternoon to run some. I am a nut for running
stations. I just love to see how high I can get the rate meter.

I spent both nights just switching from 40, 80, and 160. The sloper on 160
outdid itself. I do not have beverages or any room for them so there is
not much since in me calling CQ on 160. I did do that the last 15 minutes
of the contest trying to get a zone 3.

I am a firm beleiver if you are going to do it, do it all the way. I close
my door and my family knows not even to call me. If I could run stations on
40 and 75 I would stay up the entire 48 hours. But you still have to stay
up all that time to find those multis. It is hard when your rate is about
10 an hour but that is 10 you did not have and maybe a multi you would
have missed.

I want to thank everyone that worked me and took time for me to pull their
call out. On the dupe thing and the nothing but Dx thing I have only this
to say. I believe in working everyone, Dupe or Not. I can say 59 05 as
fast as I can say Wrkd B4. Also I do the same thing with stateside calls.
Just as easy to give them a report as it is to tell them they do not mean
anything. I agree about I might need them in SS. Bottom line is this and
I have stated this several times. All contacts should count something in
a contest. There should never be a zero contact. Just make the DX count
more.

Highlight of Contest:
8Q7LS called me on 20 Sat Afternoon. I have never even heard an 8Q7 in 20
years of ham radio. I could not believe the pipeline I had into Africa on
Sat afternoon.

Low of Contest:
10 Meters on Sunday. I could hear people working Africa right and left on
10. Trouble was I could not even hear the African stations.

That is it and thank you all for your support in helping with the scores.
It is getting bigger every year and your corporation is what makes it
work.

73's Jim