[3830] ARRL SS SSB WB1GQR SO HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL SS SSB WB1GQR SO HP
From: w1sj@arrl.net (Mitch Stern)
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 2000 23:20:19 -0500

                     ARRL Sweepstakes - SSB

Call: WB1GQR
Operator(s): W1SJ
Station: WB1GQR/W1SJ

Class: SO HP
Section: VT
Operating Time (hrs): 24

   80:    642
   40:    119
   20:    442
   15:    140
   10:    362
----------------
Total:   1705 x 80  =  272,800

Club: Radio Amateurs of Northern Vermont

Equipment:

TS-830S + MLA 2500B
A4 at 50', 80M doublet at 70'.

Comments:

Started out with great rates - over 100/hour for the first 10 hours.
I was on track for a new personal best - perhaps break 1900 QSO's.

Then everything went downhill.
80 ran out of gas prematurely Sun morning.
Couldn't get a rate going on 20m most of Sunday.
15 and 20 not much better.
The most frustrating part of this was that the bands were wide open!
I've done better in the sunspot minimum years!
It was a looooong day of getting beat up.

Someone please remind me to fix these nagging problems which I've had for
years and always seem to forget to take care of:

- RF getting into the computer keyboard on 15 meters (and now 20)
- Sticking VOX
- Old CQ Tape which is muffled
- Operating from a place where I'm guaranteed to be out of the Top Ten (the
Northeast)
Hello, VI or PR??

I'd say I'm ready to retire, but after 30 years at this, I just wouldn't
know what to do with myself on the 3rd weekend of November.

Mitch W1SJ

Mitch Stern
w1sj@arrl.net