[3830] ARRL VHF Sweep K8CC Limited Multi-Op HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] ARRL VHF Sweep K8CC Limited Multi-Op HP
From: k8cc@mediaone.net (k8cc@mediaone.net)
Date: Mon, 21 Jan 2002 23:57:50 -0500 (EST)

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
----------------------
Total:    526    115  =  73,945

Club/Team: Mad River Radio Club

Comments:

We had big hopes for 50 MHz after working EI3IO in the hour before the start.
However, all bands were big disappointments with *no* enhanced propogation.
K8MD reported a great backscatter run on 50 MHz aiming northeast Sunday
morning, but spurious sigs and trash from the Channel 2 TV transmitter 30 miles
away in that direction prevented us from hearing anything.

Lost the 222 transverter when K8CC forgot to connect the negative ALC line to
cut back the power output from the driver.  Replaced blown PIN diodes with a
relay & restored TX, but RX was wounded and many stations reported hearing us
be we could not hear them.

Lost the input T/R relay on the Henry 2002A on 2M  had only had 20W for most of
Saturday night.  Kludged in a Tohtsu DPDT relay and restored QRO.  I'm amazed I
had the right stuff on hand to fix this!

Final straw was the rotator under the 144/432 antennas giving out Sunday
evening with the antennas aimed west.  Not many QSOs from out that way but
picked up a number of EN5x grids.

This is our second try at VHF limited multiop.  We had lots of fun and are
already talking about June!

73,

Dave/K8CC