[3830] Commonwealth ZF2NT Restricted HP

To: <3830@contesting.com>
Subject: [3830] Commonwealth ZF2NT Restricted HP
From: zf2nt@candw.ky (zf2nt@candw.ky)
Date: Sun, 10 Mar 2002 05:04:51 -0800
                    RSGB Commonwealth Contest, CW

Call: ZF2NT
Operator(s): ZF2NT
Station: ZF2NT

Class: Restricted HP
QTH: lcm
Operating Time (hrs): 12

------------
   80:   58
   40:  135
   20:  133
   15:  198
   10:  247
------------
Total:  771  Total Score = 7,515

Club:

Comments:

This is the first time I've ever entered the Restricted category.  I always
thought it was just there for slackards and non-hackers, but this weekend I
discovered it is quite an interesting challenge.  Now I wish more contests had
an entry opportunity like this.  The British Empire may be a thing of the past,
but it's still true that the sun never sets on the "Commonwealth and mandated
territories".  Thus it was a puzzling question indeed to try to plan which 12
hours out of the 24 I wanted to operate.  There is no time which is completely
dead (although some of them are painfully slow).  In the end, I consciously
passed on a chance to get 5B4/ZC4 on 80m...and I'm still wondering if that was
the right choice.  The only easy choice was NOT getting up at 4 a.m. so I could
start this thing at 5.  I learned last year that all I'm going to do between 5
and 6, my time, is spend my time blowing off JAs who want a contact and continue
begging for those few VK/ZL contacts on 80.

This aspect of having the Restricted category isn't the only novel point in the
rules on this contest which I think some other contest sponsors should consider.
 Packet is not allowed--period.  Thus all packet spots can do for the people in
this contest is cause them grief by attracting DXers.  And for me, I know that
as soon as I answer one of them, then I've quickly got a pile-up of people worth
zero points to me.  So my solution is that I never, ever work stations in this
contest worth zero points.  If it weren't for the cluster systems, I wouldn't
mind giving out a few free contacts here and there, but as it is I can't take
that risk.

But why did the HF Contests Committee have to change the start time to 1000Z?
That was a terrible move.