[3830] WPX CW P49Y(AE6Y) SOAB LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, andrew.faber@gte.net
Subject: [3830] WPX CW P49Y(AE6Y) SOAB LP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Sat, 3 Jun 2006 22:50:07 -0700
                    CQWW WPX Contest, CW

Call: P49Y
Operator(s): AE6Y
Station: P49Y

Class: SOAB LP
QTH: Aruba
Operating Time (hrs): 32
Radios: SO2R

------------
  160:
   80:
   40:  625
   20:  683
   15:  680
   10:  174
------------

Club: Northern California Contest Club

Comments:

This was my 10th contest operation from our P49Y-P40L QTH, and by far the worst.
 I had been planning to go all out high power, but got the trip off to a bad
start by throwing my back out a few days before departure.  I got down there
OK, and felt generally OK on Thursday, but must have spent 20 minutes getting
out of bed on Friday morning. Thanks to the extreme kindness of Emily Thiel,
P43E, who seems to know everyone on the island, I got to see a neurologist
right away (she even drove me there).  Unfortunately, I spent most of the rest
of trip, including the contest, in a slightly euphoric, drug-induced haze.  I
wasn't sure what I'd be able to do, so I called John Crovelli, P40W, up and
offered up the Alpha 86 to him to use as a spare, figuring that I couldn't
justify keeping my high power slot.
  Anyway, I vaguely recall feeling much weaker (signal-wise, that is), than
usual from Aruba, and generally unhappy with the state of the contest.  As an
example, I seemed to have a lot of trouble getting runs going, and for the
first time ever, actually did not have a single hour with over 100 Qs.  As the
contest wore on, I started to take more and more small chunks of time off out
of general dispiritedness.
  Other than me, the station worked fine.  Especially useful this time as
receiving antennas on 40 were the three beverages that W6LD and the team had
set up last fall.  Miraculously, they were all still intact and worked very
well to reduce the noise level on 40.
  As usual, there was the normal enjoyable socializing that characterizes Aruba
contesting, with P40A (KK9A), P40W (W2GD), P43A, P43C, and P43E, plus a newcomer
Ann, WA1S, who was practicing for WRTC with Emily.
  Congratulations, by the way to all the other Aruban entries: P40W who really
smoked, P40A (SB 40), P41S (WA1S and P43E), and thanks to Joop, P43JB, for
giving out the P43 mult.
  Equipment:  IC 756 Pro2 X2, 2 el 40, 3 el 20, 4 el 15/10, C31.
  Software: CQPWIN ver. 10.2 (whole contest run off one USB port, BTW)
  73 and thanks for the Qs,
  Andy, AE6Y, P49Y