[3830] CQWW CW WX0B(AD5Q) SOAB HP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ad5q@arrl.net
Subject: [3830] CQWW CW WX0B(AD5Q) SOAB HP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 03:16:28 -0800
                    CQ Worldwide DX Contest, CW

Call: WX0B
Operator(s): AD5Q
Station: WX0B

Class: SOAB HP
QTH: NTX
Operating Time (hrs): 45
Radios: SO2R

  160:   46    14       31
   80:  246    30       82
   40:  789    35       94
   20:  542    31       91
   15:  406    30       94
   10:   48    12       26
------------------------------

Club: North Texas Contest Club

Comments:

Conditions were so-so. The K-Index was high all weekend, and there were no
screaming rates here on any band. Conditions on 80 were exceptional for CQWW.
The zone 17 was a real surprise, and 8Q7DVâ??s signal was perfectly copyable.
Unfortunately, he was short path â?? yet another gift for the east coast packet
hoard. I chose to move on, and later caught him on 40.

Iâ??ve had a few awesome EU runs on 40 from this station. They are great fun,
and I keep looking for them as the sunrise sweeps across Europe. When I canâ??t
make them happen Iâ??ve been making the wrong decision. I go to 80 and 160, when
I should start my JA runs much earlier â?? or pounce the band more aggressively
(both). This year, I already had an 80 Meter JA run in the log before I worked
my first JA on 40. There was a run to EU the first night for about 2 hours
beginning 0600z. The 2nd night: nothing. I think I get it now. The really big
EU runs require a higher solar flux. Run JA instead. My 40 Meter numbers should
be higher because WX0B is loud.

Polar contacts were scarce this year on 40 and 15, and the really hot 20 Meter
runs of last year didnâ??t happen. I finally found a brief polar opening on 40
at sunrise Sunday morning and pointed north. To my amazement, Sweden was a new
mult after over 700 40M Qsoâ??s logged. I really did miss Norway on 40, and
there were only about 2 dozen Russians / Ukranians.

My score, however, is a personal best for this contest. Iâ??ve been
experimenting with different SO2R configurations, and am approaching one that
is really slick (only possible with N1MM software). It permits a more
aggressive use of the 2nd radio, and I expect to be more competitive in future
contests as I settle into a groove here. I thank Jay and Sharon for the use of
the station, and the opportunity to try the little refinements.

Roy -- AD5Q