[3830] ARRL June VHF VE3CVG Single Op LP

To: 3830@contesting.com, ve3cvg@rac.ca
Subject: [3830] ARRL June VHF VE3CVG Single Op LP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Mon, 13 Jun 2011 07:10:14 -0700

  3.4:
  5.7:
  10G:
  24G:
-------------------
Total:  94     45  Total Score = 5,040

Club: Contest Club Ontario

Comments:

This was another interesting and fun contest. Unlike most contests, there was a
marked absence of local stations. The local guys with 1296 and 903 did not
operate when I did, so the score is very low on all bands except 6m. Also
absent were the big guns from the Rochester area and almost no stations were
worked from Montreal, Granby, and the east coast. Wow! It was kind of
discouraging.

On Saturday, I could hear several stations south of me working 6m contacts but
I got very few completions. My CQ's went unanswered and I finally gave up at
supper time with only a handful of QSOs. Saturday night was not much better.
Sunday morning started as promising. While 6m was not wide open to me, I did
work a rover and a few other stations.

Just before noon, 6m finally opened and I started adding up contacts. They were
coming in from all over but mostly the west in the afternoon and shifting to the
south in the evening. There was a bit of fading from time to time, but for the
most part 6m was open all Sunday afternoon and evening.

I heard a couple of flutters on 2m but no solid opening at my QTH.

My highlights included working VE3WCC FN04 grid expedition on 2m, then on 6m
and finally on 432MHz, also C6AKQ and YN2PR.

Special thanks to Mel VE3OJN for the company and the tips about the DX, and to
Ken VA3KA for keeping in touch from the West Carleton Club site.

September's just 3 months away.