[3830] IARU K5KG SO Mixed HP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] IARU K5KG SO Mixed HP
From: webform@b41h.net
Date: Sun, 10 Jul 2011 12:56:35 -0700
                    IARU HF World Championship

Call: K5KG
Operator(s): K5KG
Station: K5KG

Class: SO Mixed HP
QTH: WCF
Operating Time (hrs): 24

  160:     0     0      0       0
   80:   119    12     10       8
   40:   451   217     28      20
   20:   537   319     32      35
   15:   114    22     17      18
   10:    28     8      7       4
-------------------------------------
Total:  1249   578     94      85  Total Score = 990,765

Club: Florida Contest Group

Comments:

Station:
K3 + P3 + Acom 2000A
WinTest
C31@60', 6el 10m yagi @30'(stuck on SA), 2el 40@75', 80m Inv Vee.
1 pot 'o coffee, sodas, OJ, H2O, assorted snacks - all within easy reach!

Got off to a good start with 120 Q's in the second hour, but the rest of
Saturday was downhill.  Condx got "worser and worser" throughout the daylight
hours.  10 and 15 were an overall disappointment, leaving us to concentrate on
20 later in the day.  Without packet, I had no idea what the solar activity was
doing, but it sure felt like a flare was happening.  As nightime approached, the
ambient noise level on 20 built to the point where I had to kick in the K3's
noise reduction.  The noise didn't seem to be local electrical noise, but
rather an overall rising of the noise floor.  It was feeling like an oncoming
thunderstorm, but the wx was clear.  That noise persisted on 20 throughout the
night.  40 was also noisy, but not like 20.  Interesting enough, 80 was
relatively quiet on my rx loop.

If I was not in a run, of which there were several spectacular ones - best hour
was 136 @ 00z - on both phone and cw on 20 and 40, I would try to QSY after each
10 minute interval to keep S&P'ing for mults and new stations.  Keeping a focus
on the WinTest 10 minute timer relly helped to keep me moving from band to band
and mode to mode.

I can't say enough about the K3's receiver, and the usefulness of the P3 band
scope.  I found myself watching the P3's screen constantly, especially on the
bands with little activity to find the few stations that were there.  It was
also very helpful for finding holes on busy bands when looking for a place to
CQ and start a run.  The P3 is the next best thing to being "assisted"!!!

Ok, back to the bands.  I was able to maintain 60 to 80 Qso's per hour
throughout the night.  20 was good until the week hours, but it finally petered
out until it opened to EU at daylight.  40 was the money band where, in addition
to a large collection of Euros, we managed to work a nice assortment of VK's,
ZL's, KH6's, KL7's and a good number of JA's, some of which must have peaked at
40 over!  Biggest thrills: NH2T on 40 cw - Tnx, Dave.  Also 9M6 on 40 cw, and a
VK6 and two ZS's on 40 ssb.

I would like to mention the excellent performance of the HQ stations, of which
we managed to work 42 of them.  They seemed to be everywhere!  When running, it
was not uncommon to be called by an HQ stn in the pile up.  Even on seemingly
dead bands, DA0HQ, EF8HQ, TM0HQ, IO4HQ, GR2HQ, and YU8HQ would be there along
with NU1AW/5 and W1AW/6!

73, George, K5KG