[3830] CWopsT K9ZO Single Op QRP

To: 3830@contesting.com
Subject: [3830] CWopsT K9ZO Single Op QRP
From: webform@b4h.net
Date: Wed, 24 Mar 2021 15:31:47 +0000
                    CWops Mini-CWT Test - 1300Z Mar 24

Call: K9ZO
Operator(s): K9ZO
Station: K9ZO

Class: Single Op QRP
QTH: IL
Operating Time (hrs): 1

------------
  160:
   80:   7
   40:  49
   20:   6
   15:
   10:
------------
Total:  62  Mults = 58  Total Score = 3,596

Club: Metro DX Club

Comments:

This was a rough one.  My amp is back from repairs, but I have purposefully
worked outside and in the garage in anticipation of a rainy week and to prepare
for spring projects.  People seem to vacate 80 way too early when we have prop
to both coasts.  40 was good and lots of signals.  Crowded and hard to find a CQ
frequency.  I picked up the loud ones with a few tries, but most of the time 4-5
attempts without luck.  In general, signals were not strong over the band, so
higher power would have enabled lots more contacts.  15-20 attempts before a
contact was rough, but point to needed antenna improvements.  I have been laying
out tubing for a 40 meter dipole high on the tower (since the SteppIR never
works on 40), but am short about 20 feet in the center.
Some guys were impressive because they could pick up a weak signal. AH6KO on 40
with 5 watts, the half dozen Europeans on 20, and four guys who heard me on two
bands was pretty cool.  Others never had a QSO after half a dozen attempts.
There are some alligators out there!

In retrospect it would have been a great one to run high power and stay on 40
because coveage of the USA was good, even though signals were not.