[AMPS] SB-1000 bandswitch damage

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] SB-1000 bandswitch damage
From: rakefet@rakefet.com (Vic Rosenthal)
Date: Tue, 10 Mar 1998 22:01:43 -0800
I was looking through the Amps archives and I noticed some comments about
damage to
the 160-meter padding capacitor bandswitch contact due to Heath not providing a
corona washer.  Sure enough, my SB-1000 has a burned bandswitch contact in this
place.  I'd put off fixing it and attributed it to the former owner's
hot-switching...but maybe that isn't what happened after all.

Could someone please educate me with regard to this?  What causes this problem,
and
what kind of washer needs to be put where to prevent it?  Replacing the contact
is
going to be annoying (I really don't want to replace the whole switch) and I
only
want to do it once!

Vic K2VCO