[AMPS] MFJ Tuners

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] MFJ Tuners
From: rdl2@igs.net (rdl2@igs.net)
Date: Fri, 13 Mar 1998 14:52:15 -0500
>At 1:24 AM -0500 3/13/98, John Kjos wrote:
>I have been considering buying an MFJ-989C tuner for my Ameritron
>AL-1200.Some of the comments I have been reading are leading me to
>reconsider.What is up with this the MFJ products?I was under the
>impression that they made good equipment.   John KB9RPM
>==========================

I am happily using a 989C with an AL-80A. The tuner arcs on 160 but that's
not its fault...it's just that I've got an 80 m quad loop fed with ladder
line at the end of it.

The variable capacitors could use vernier controls for finer tuning, and
you have to do a lot of hard, sometimes scratchy, cranking to get the
roller inductor from one end to the other (118 turns) but, on balance, I'm
happy with it, it does a good job, and it's good value for the money.

It might be the "Chevy" but Chevvies are pretty durable and reliable if
you don't want (or can't afford) pretty and elegant.

There was a useful review in QST a year or so ago comparing four high-end,
high-power tuners. It was this review that helped to sway me to the 989C on
a cost/benefit basis.

73, Rob, VE3YE