[AMPS] Amplifier Experiments!

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Amplifier Experiments!
From: G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk (Ian White, G3SEK)
Date: Mon, 25 May 1998 08:24:40 +0100
Tom Rauch wrote:
>> >What is the inductance of the resistors? Can you measure it?
>>
>> Haven't measured it.  I probably could, but it's a good question.
>
>I see many people using resistors they "think" are non-inductive only
>to find out they aren't. The days of off the shelf higher power
>non-inductive carbons are gone, unless you buy some from companies
>that order them special.
>
>I'd hate to think how many SB-220's have gotten inductive
>carbon resistors installed by accident.

If you connect the resistor to an MFJ-259 and some kind of jig to
minimize the inductance of the leads, and then "sweep" the frequency up
into the VHF range, the "Resistance" scale should give some indication
whether the resistor is significantly inductive. (Sorry, I don't have
suitable resistors to hand or else I'd have tried it.)

I know that this isn't much of a measurement, but do you think it would
be a worthwhile indication, Tom?

                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek