[AMPS] MLA-2500 Help

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] MLA-2500 Help
From: W8AV@aol.com (W8AV@aol.com)
Date: Thu, 30 Jul 1998 07:05:29 EDT

<< Also, please help me understand how you can check a cap with an Ohm
 meter.  Caps by characteristic are open circuits at DC.  Do you have a
 capacitance function on your meter?  I know some of the newer ones do. >>

I have verified an electrolytic with a VOM.  First hook the leads up + to+ and
- to - with the VOM on the ohms scale.  You will see the cap charge from the
internal battery in the VOM if the cap is good.  Then reverse the leads. and
you will see the cap discharge and charge in the opposite direction.  If the
cap is short or open, no movement will be observed on the VOM.  This of course
has to be done with the cap out of the circuit and fully discharged if the amp
has been on recently.  I have used this method for several years to identify
bad caps in an MLA doubler circuit with lots of success.  I have always found
the suspect cap this way.
It seems like kind of crude method but it works for me, as I don't have a
capacitor checker.

73....................de Goose W8AV