[AMPS] Telephone RFI Radio Shack Phones

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Telephone RFI Radio Shack Phones
From: Bill_Henderson@ocdsb.edu.on.ca (Bill Henderson)
Date: Tue, 08 Dec 1998 10:27:45 -0500
I worked for Intertan Technical Services (the Radio Shack service
division in Canada) for seven years. Telephone equipment was one of the
lines I serviced. I think the model you are looking for MIGHT be
43-8200 or 43-8300... not sure as it has been over five years now.
You're right about the wooden stake idea, a trip under the wheels of a
forklift works well also.
Over near Barrhaven (a "suburb" of Ottawa, Canada) there are a lot of
problems with electrical fields from xmting towers, hydro towers/lines
and various metaphysical user faults. People have problems with tv's,
garage door openers, microwave ovens, even telephones. Best advice was
(and is) buy it on the understanding that if there is a problem you can
bring it back and get a full refund, CHEAP IS CHEAP. My personal
experience was that quality control was provided by the techs at the
service center, not by the manufacturer on the ass'ly line...
particularly with product made in China. I'm not sure what the
situation is now, but I try to avoid Radio Shack product whenever
possible. Minimum and "typical" specs were so broad and low (multiband
receivers especially) that you were hard pressed to find one that
didn't meet the specs.
Anyway, items in the 8000 series (the first nos. indicated the group,
16 for tv/vcr, 43 for telephones and answering machines, 49 for alarms,
15 for a/v accessories, etc) were generally "special" purchases and
little or no service data/parts were available. This means that you can
find the identical phone or whatever with the actual manufacturer's
brand name at another store and probably at a lower price.
IF you get a phone that seems to be better at rejecting interference
than other types, credit the manufacturer and consider yourself
lucky...  Anybody want to exchange stories? e-mail me directly unless
it pertains to this group, please... Bill H.