[AMPS] YC156 Update

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] YC156 Update
From: wc7m@vcn.com (W7CW Jay E Ostrem)
Date: Fri, 11 Dec 1998 23:21:15 +0000
Holy Smokin' Dummy Load!

Things appear to be working now, I had to do some further refining on my
metering shunts.  Turns out I had some odd meters, and my grid current
meter was reading 5X the actual.(the meter said 100mA , but is was actually
only 20mA)

At 3350 Vdc B+ under load (only a 50v drop) at 1.2A I max out my 2000 watt
meter. Its a Daiwa, and I've never checked the accuracy.  This works out to
about 50% efficiency.  My grid current is around 50mA, and drive is 50-55
watts.

I lost track of time and had to sit the Cantenna outside.  Luckily I didn't
damage it.

I'll be playing around with the final tank, and maybe increase the B+ to
see what happens with the efficiency.  Many comments cite low efficiency
with this voltage.

So what do I have now?  An amp that makes legal limit with 40watts drive,
and does not stress a thing in the box. I have about $1000 tied up so far.
The biggest part in the amp is the pole transformer, which accounts for the
excellent B+ regulation.

The biggest trade off was size.  This fella will sit a rack cabinet
(including the transformer).  In exchange for this I saved money (not if
your time is money), and built a very durable amp.
                              73 Jay W7CW

                                 1AB Ranch
                                 Gillette, Wyoming