[AMPS] 3-500Z filament voltage

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 3-500Z filament voltage
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Sun, 31 Jan 1999 11:31:24 -0500

On Sun, 31 Jan 1999 07:59:22 -0600 "Monty Taylor"
<montytaylor@texoma.net> writes:

>I have just reduced my filament voltage on the 3-500Z's in my Linear
>from
>5.75 volts to 5.00 volts, added 40 ohms in the primary of the
>transformer,
>with no load or drive.

 If I drive the amp to 600ma, for example, what
>is an
>acceptable voltage drop that could I expect and the ramifications of
>such a
>drop.  The secondary filament leads are only six inches long and
>appear to
>be #10 or #8 stranded wire. The transformer previously supplied the
>current
>without getting warm.  The reason for the high filament voltage is due
>the 248 VAC furnished by the local electric utility.

With a stiff 240V line the voltage drop caused by key down loading should
not exceed a few percent. You have up to 5% to play with with a minimum
of 4.75V. You can always adjust the resistor values to compensate but may
not be worth the effort unless you do a lot of key down operation such as
RTTY, etc.

GL  Carl  KM1H

 Helps my High
>Voltage
>Power supply though!!!  I would appreciate any and all comments,
>theoretical
>or experience.
>
>Monty/WB5GLB
>

>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]