[AMPS] coil form plastics

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] coil form plastics
From: km1h@juno.com (km1h@juno.com)
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 1999 13:17:40 -0500

On Mon, 15 Feb 1999 00:18:09 +0000 "Ian White, G3SEK"
<G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk> writes:

>Carl wrote:
>>

>>On Sun, 14 Feb 1999 11:28:09 +0000 "Ian White, G3SEK"
>><G3SEK@ifwtech.demon.co.uk> writes:
>>
>>SNIP
>>>
>>>In the end, the only way to find out is to try it. For situations
>>>where
>>>an inexpensive and easily machined material such as Delrin is proved

>>>work, there's no point in paying for PTFE or ceramic.
>>
>>B&W initially used ceramic forms for their 802 plate RFC. As a cost
>>reduction they went to Delrin. I have several failed Delrin RFC's
>here
>>that all failed at the tube end only which makes me believe it was a
>RF
>>related failure, not DC or straight IR losses.
>
>Fair enough - anything involving high RF potentials (and probably
>high
>temperatures too) is a risky application that would need careful
>testing
>before committing to production. It's more difficult for component
>manufacturers such as B&W and the roller coil makers because they
>can't
>anticipate all future uses.
>
>It then comes back to the equipment manufacturers to test their
>products
>well beyond the claimed ratings... but then the marketing droids want
>market the products at the test ratings! Finally the end users push
>the
>products harder still, and sure enough, they fail.
>
>>Soft Teflon makes a poor choke form but hard Teflon works quite well.
>>believe it has a fiberglass mixture. Machines well and costs less
>than
>>pure Teflon.
>
>Any brand names and sources?

Ian,

IPM is one mfg and available locally from Plastics Supply Corp which I
believe is USA wide.
There are probably several others that stock but today is a holiday and
I've been unable to get more info sofar. Perhaps others have additional
info.
The correct nomenclature is " glass filled Teflon".

73  Carl  KM1H

>73 from Ian G3SEK          Editor, 'The VHF/UHF DX Book'
>                          'In Practice' columnist for RadCom (RSGB)
>                           http://www.ifwtech.demon.co.uk/g3sek
>
>--

or call Juno at (800) 654-JUNO [654-5866]