FW: [AMPS] Alpha 89 SWR protection

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: FW: [AMPS] Alpha 89 SWR protection
From: w4eto@rmii.com (Richard W. Ehrhorn)
Date: Fri, 19 Mar 1999 17:01:48 -0700
Dick...

Load SWR protection is generally similar in both the ALPHA 87A and 89. Both
respond to reflected power, rather than actual SWR, primarily in order to
protect the T/R PIN diodes from abnormally high RF voltages which can
result from high Prefl/SWR. They are programmed to trip the amp to standby
when Prefl exceeds about 250W, which corresponds to about 2:1 SWR at 2.2 kW
Pfwd, and to 3:1 SWR at 1 kW Pfwd.

Both amps are specified for unlimited key-down duty at 1.5 kW Pout at load
SWRs not exceeding 2:1. I'd recommend against trying to change the
reflected power trip point as that likely would void warranty protection if
PIN diodes or other output circuit components were damaged or destroyed as
a result.

73,    Dick   W0ID