[AMPS] 4cx10000

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 4cx10000
From: W8IK@ibm.net (Joe Subich, W8IK)
Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 19:58:31 -0400

> My favourite tube. My question is this, how many times can you rebuild
> 8171s before they are tired and worn. Never having to do this i always
> wonder about the value of people like Econco. I have a good supply of
> these tubes myself so have never had need to rebuild one. I have a few
> that are shot as well mainly using them for door stops.

Econco have repeatedly stated the 8171 and similar tubes could be rebuilt
essentially forever since the anode can be removed without loss of metal.
In those tubes which require cutting the ceramic-metal seal the limit is
the care with which the seal is cut and amount of material that is lost.
Once too much material is lost (two, three or four generations in most
tubes) the tube is unrebuildable due to the cahnge in parameters.

With the 8171, I suspect a good "pull" will last a lifetime with, at
most, one rebuild in amateur service as long as the amplifier is built
with suitable regulation and safety circuits.

73,
   ... Joe Subich, W8IK/4  ex-AD8I
       <W8IK@IBM.NET>