[AMPS] Reduction Drive

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Reduction Drive
From: mgilmer@gnlp.com (Gilmer, Mike)
Date: Mon, 15 Nov 1999 12:20:09 -0500
I'm trying to "restore" a pair of ARD230A amps.  RF decks and PS seem OK.
They both make power.  The few identified problems seem to be in the control
crap. Go figure.

Amongst these problems, I found that one unit's motor drives (on TUNE and
LOAD caps) work OK, but the other's wouldn't turn when driven. I had a spare
reduction drive so I tried it, too: NG.
Turns out (after biting the bullet and drilling out the swages on one to
open it up) that the grease used to lube the gears inside the reduction unit
had turned tar-like.  The innards have 6 or 7 gears - some plastic (motor
end) and some metal (at the output end).  The grease around the metal gears
was what became tar-like. The grease elsewhere was still "normal".  After
cleaning out the "bad" grease, the unit worked fine.  I can even put the
drive unit back together :)

Questions:
1. What would cause the grease to "gum up" like this?
2. What should I replace the grease with? (short of converting them to
manual tune, hi)

Mike
n2mg@contesting.com