[AMPS] Eimac care and feeding/poor service

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Eimac care and feeding/poor service
From: mgilmer@gnlp.com (Gilmer, Mike)
Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 11:17:30 -0500
On Wednesday, November 17, 1999 10:14 AM, Bill Murphy
[SMTP:zuluhe@hotmail.com] wrote:
Why should i as
> an individual go begging to Richardsons

Pardon my naivete, I take it "Richardsons" is a manufacturers'
representative?

> to get this information, when Eimac
> could provide the information i require.
> In most cases Richardsons are only
> interested in helping you if you a prime  or potential juicy customer. It
> seems Eimac must either be highly arrogant or doing so well that giving
out
> a piece of paper mechanically or electronically to a individual is not
> important.

Sounds like "Richardsons" and Eimac are both "arrogant" using your
definition.
I got my hard copy data sheet in a relative flash direct from Eimac, but I'm
in the US.
If they (Eimac) require that "Richardsons" handle your (which?) country's
inquiries, then that is a typical rep arrangement.  If Eimac considers their
relationship OK, then they'll do nothing.  My company often got requests
directly from potential customers in England who did not like our English
rep; they wanted to "go around" the rep not for financial reasons, but
because of the rep's attitude.  So we changed reps.

> There web site is a reflection of this.

Eimac/Varian is/are old company(ies).  Takes many of them a long time to
figure out how best to use the web. They haven't yet. Giving out information
to "individuals" is how "companies" discover new parts.  Unfortunately for
us (and I guess good for Eimac) is that they are really THE prime/sole
player.  If your company is in the high power RF business, it already knows
Eimac.

 Many companies have
> distribution agreements, but i cant see how the release of basic
> information harms these agreements.

I agree.  The info should be on Eimac's web site: direct from the "horse's
mouth".

  There business marketing practices to
> me seem strange. Svetlana on the other hand seem to have a more sensible
> attitude, look at there web page.

Aside from having the above mentioned outdated marketing, many companies who
had their start in business selling to lots of amateurs at one time, forget
them when they "go commercial".  (This is easy to understand; IMO, there are
some aspects of the amateur market that are terrible.)  This often takes
years.  Let's see how much Svetlana cares about hams in 20-30 years (or even
5).

Mike
N2MG