[AMPS] filament rheostats

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] filament rheostats
From: nj4f@erols.com (Steve Bookout)
Date: Mon, 21 Feb 2000 12:13:55 -0500
Hello Frank and all,

Mark Mendelkern, KN5S, published an article in the May 96 QEX titled  'A
Luxury Linear'.  In this article he describes how he uses DC for the
filaments of a 4CX1000 and how he limits the inrush current and how he
automatically brings the fil voltage up over a period of several minutes.
Really interesting reading.

73 de Steve, NR4M

At 11:57 AM 2/21/00 -0500, Frank & Barb Ayers wrote:

>Peter wrote -
>Better, but even more expensive, is a regulated filament supply that is
>current limited so the inrush current can't exceed twice the normal current,
>and doesn't vary with line volts. You can afford to build that sort of thing
>into a home brew amp.......but commercially it's a no-no.
>
>I've thought of doing this but - is there any problem with running filaments
>on DC? Seems to me I heard at one time that some tube manufacturers
>recommended against that.
>

>Frank
>W2FCA
>

>--
>FAQ on WWW:               http://www.contesting.com/ampsfaq.html

Steve Bookout, NR4M (ex NJ4F)
Rapidan Data Systems

'DX4WIN...The way logging programs should be!'
Free demo at http://www.erols.com/pvander