[AMPS] Network analysis of suppressors

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Network analysis of suppressors
From: jono@enteract.com (Jon Ogden)
Date: Wed, 01 Mar 2000 22:25:55 -0600
on 3/1/00 3:04 PM, Steve Iezzi at siezzi@aeronix.com wrote:

> The nichrome behaved as advertised and lowered the Q of the resonance by a
> factor of about 10.  At these very high frequencies, your results may vary
> so pay attention to the setup.  Attempts to duplicate the resistance wire
> with an additional series resistance did not work as the body of that device
> added additional resonance albeit also at very high frequencies.

I think we can all agree that nichrome will lower the Q of the resonant
circuit.  It is a resistance.  Adding a resistance in the inductive branch
of an LR circuit will change the Q.  No one is doubting that.

The real question is if the extra dissipation is needed.  There is more than
one way to skin a cat.  A lossy circuit can indeed reduce gain.  But
frankly, I want to minimize the loss in my anode circuitry!

73,

Jon
KE9NA

Jon Ogden