[AMPS] QSK5 Unit

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] QSK5 Unit
From: rakefet@rakefet.com (Vic Rosenthal)
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 08:23:37 -0700
measures wrote:

> > The circuits to work with PIN diodes are much more
> >complicated
> >than with relays, but if you need the speed...
> >
> Indeed.  For super speed cw, PIN diodes are the only game in town.

I think the speed you need depends on whether you can get a good early
'transmit' signal from your exciter.  I've used the vacuum relay / reed relay
circuit on Rich's web site successfully in several amps now, with driving
voltages of 65 to 150 volts.  I have been unable to detect hot switching, even
while sending 55 wpm dits.  I've keyed these circuits using the +12v on transmit
line from the TS850s -- not the ptt relay -- and a similar signal from an
Elecraft K2.

I've used the HC-1 relays in these circuits, rather than the RJ1A's.  I believe
these have proven more durable in this service.  I've not had any relay
failures, although I don't tend to operate 40 hours straight running stations in
CW contests, either!

73,
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA