[AMPS] Standardised connector?

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Standardised connector?
From: philk5pc@tyler.net (Phil Clements)
Date: Thu, 18 May 2000 11:34:53 -0500
Subject: Re: [AMPS] Standardised connector?

> >Hi Fred, well there are a number of plugs in use, but I like to use the
> >50AMP Range Plug. It's a giant connector, uses (3) 1/2 inch wide blades in a
> >"Y", and oddly enough, is one of the least expensive. This is the "standard"
> >around my place for amps, generator outputs,as well as welders, compressors
> >etc. A pigtail with an inline socket can adapt it down to the "other"
> >standard connectors.
> >
> The range plug is excellent.  It has minimal resistance.  Typical sockets
> are made to accept up to #4 gauge wire - which is ok with an 8171 in ssb
> / cw.  Plug/cord sets are very reasonably priced.  For a multi
> installation, to avoid using adaptors, I would use a wall mtd chassis
> with various types of sockets wired in parallel.
>
> cheers
>
> >Geo>K0FF

I have been doing  the above for many years. I watch the sales at
Lowe's and Home Depot. You can pick up molded range and dryer
replacement cords with plug attached at most any hardware store.
Either one fits the same socket, so which ever is on sale is the one I
get. Plugs are about the same price as an "on-sale" cord assembly,
and come with blades to suit your application as far as current handling
capability goes. When wiring the shack, do not try to cut corners. Like
the man says, use #4 wire and be done with it! That way, several amps
can be plugged into the same socket via a multi-outlet box.(You will have
to make this, according to your needs.)

(((73)))
Phil, K5PC