[AMPS] Mount pi-net capacitors vertically

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Mount pi-net capacitors vertically
From: 2@vc.net (measures)
Date: Fri, 15 Sep 2000 10:05:01 -0700

>Subject:               Re: [AMPS] Mount pi-net capacitors vertically
>Date sent:             Thu, 14 Sep 2000 22:04:06 -0700
>From:                  measures <2@vc.net>
>To:                    "jeff millar" <jeff@wa1hco.mv.com>, "AMPS"
><amps@contesting.com>
>

>> >I went to the site mentioned a few days ago with all the amp pictures,
>> >http://www.angenent.org/W7IUV/amp-pix.htm and noted that most of these
>> >put the vacuum variables horizontal with the tuning shafts straight out
>> >the front panel.  With all the talk about stray inductance and grounding,
>> >I'd like to ask why they all do this?
>> >
>> Ä  Builders who use horiz. mounting apparently did not read the Jennings
>> catalog.
>
>From page 12 of the 1990 Jennings catalog:
>
>Mounting Position- Units may be mounted in any position. When
>large capacitors are mounted horizontally, both ends should be
>supported to prevent excessive stresses (vertical mounting
>preferred).
>
>You can mount your capacitors in any position, as long as they
>aren't the large capacitors.

... not an example of good reading skills, Tom.  Jennings essentially
says to use end supports with large units if one chooses horizontal
mounting.

>I asked Jennings about that several years ago and they said by
>"large" they mean capacitors over 10 pounds weight. They are
>worried about the bending moment on the front seal.

Another consideration is the constant stress of gravity on the soft
copper plates.  Vertical mounting solves this problem and greatly reduces
stray L at the Tune-C, which is normally one of Mr. Rauch's pet peeves.
.  Vertical mounting also takes way less chassis space.  //  Mr.
Lenkowitz, of Hiway Sales told me he had seen horizontally mounted vacuum
caps short from being set down too hard.  The soft copper plates bent and
shorted

later, Tom

end