[AMPS] 240VAC Amplifier Wiring

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] 240VAC Amplifier Wiring
From: rakefet@rakefet.com (Vic Rosenthal)
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 2000 08:21:15 -0800
> Paul Christensen wrote:
>
> If I were to take a poll, how many of you run your amps with the
> configurations as stated above?

I'm using the 'two phases + ground'  configuration because I want my amp to also
work overseas where there is no 115v neutral-hot circuit available.  Since no
current is supposed to flow in a ground, this means that even in the USA I can't
use any 115v components (relays, etc.) in my PS without a step-down
transformer.
I think that if I didn't care about the overseas issue, I would have brought out
both the neutral and ground to the amp so that I could safely use the neutral as
a return for 115v loads while connecting the chassis to the ground lead.

I don't like the 'neutral + phases only' configuration, because if the neutral
is used as a return and is connected to the chassis and opens, then the chassis
is hot.  If the neutral is not used as a return, then this is equivalent to
configuration 1 above.  If the neutral is not connected to the chassis, then
there's no automatic grounding when the amp is plugged in, and you have to have
a good external ground.

I'm not an electrician, this is just what I believe to be common sense!  I'll be
interested to hear the 'expert' comments.

73,
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA