[AMPS] DSP & and other curiosities

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] DSP & and other curiosities
From: siezzi@aeronix.com (Steve Iezzi)
Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 21:07:52 -0500
I usually differentiate the two filter realizations as "continuous" or
"discrete" time rather than analog or digital.  Common filters implemented
with op amps or LC networks are continuous time filters.  IIR and FIR
filters are discrete time implementations.  IIR realizations can be directly
translated from continuous time filters using the Z transform.  FIR filters
can not as they don't have a translation into continuous time.

The bucket brigade filter implemented with delays and multipliers is a valid
FIR design but is not continuous as it's taking samples of the signal to be
filtered much the same as a DSP would do.

FIR filters do have a constant group delay.  IIR filters can be implemented
in many configurations.

Steve KT4FY