[AMPS] Two XFMR in parallel

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] Two XFMR in parallel
From: Noel Willis @ Access IT" <AccessIT@Bigpond.net.au (Noel Willis @ Access IT)
Date: Thu, 18 Jan 2001 12:16:25 +1000
Well and good, but your ESR argument in this case overlooks an important
point, as power is supplied from the transformer secondary the secondary
voltage drops.
1. The open circuit voltage difference is 60V (1950V to 1890V)
2. The full load difference is 10V (1880V @ 0.6A and 1870V @ 0.4V)

So as the higher voltage transformer supplies current (due to the voltage
differential) its loaded voltage will drop (due to its ESR) until it matches
the unloaded voltage of the lower voltage transformer. The reason for
including the current equalising resistors is to increase the ESR of that
transformer.
As the current increases the voltage drop across the equalising resistor/s
increases and the system reaches equilibrium.

*The voltage differential between the two transformers will now be a
combination of the unloaded low V transformer, the voltage drop across the
Equalising resistor, and (the now lower) partially loaded voltage on the
other transformer.

Now if the system is supplying power to an external load, the overall
dynamics improve as the fully loaded voltages of both transformers are so
close.