[AMPS] ALPHA 77SX on 50Hz

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] ALPHA 77SX on 50Hz
From: rakefet@rakefet.com (Vic Rosenthal)
Date: Thu, 05 Apr 2001 23:21:56 -0700
> ARNE GJERNING wrote:
>
> The other question is the concern of 50Hz vs 60Hz. Any problems here or
> precautions needed.

I built a 3300v power supply with the intent to use it in a 50 Hz country as
well as here in the US.  I asked Peter Dahl about this.  I was told that the
magnetizing current in the primary of a large 60 Hz transformer operating on 50
Hz would be excessive, enough to burn it out.  Much more iron is needed in a 50
Hz transformer -- the one I finally got weighed 60 pounds (27kg), compared to an
equivalent 60 Hz only unit weighing 40 pounds (18 kg).

73,
Vic, K2VCO
Fresno CA