[AMPS] GLITCH RESISTORS - SOURCE

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [AMPS] GLITCH RESISTORS - SOURCE
From: W8JI@contesting.com (Tom Rauch)
Date: Sun, 9 Sep 2001 07:57:26 -0400
> Check out RCD resistors at www.rcd-comp.com. Go to their resistor page
> to HV listings - look up PCN SERIES. They have non-inductive
> solid-ceramic construction. Sizes 2W-5W wire leaded would be excellent
> for standard parasitic suppressor construction. Larger sizes 10W-270W
> designed for mounting clips. 50W size rated to 70KV max pulse voltage
> - dimensions 7.28" long x .788 dia. Larger sizes would be excellent
> for building a custom non-inductive dummy load also. 73 Todd Roberts
> WD4NGG .

Not speaking of a specific resistor, but any resistor in general...

There is no reason to waste money on non-inductive resistors for
glitch. Actually the inductance, if anything, helps but only very
slightly.

Voltage breakdown and peak energy capability are the important
parameters. We also have to watch the inductance of "non-
inductive" resistors in load applications. Many "non-inductive"
resistors are still very poor at radio frequencies. We need a
composition-type resistor.

The most common form of non-inductive power resistor (like the
little metal case gold ones and also ceramic types) use parallel
counter-wound coils of resistance wire. They are both inductive,
and have poorer voltage breakdown than other winding styles.

73, Tom W8JI
W8JI@contesting.com