[Amps] SB-220 variable capacitor needed

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] SB-220 variable capacitor needed
From: nospam4me@juno.com (skipp isaham)
Date: Mon, 25 Mar 2002 09:21:56 -0800
re: SB 220 variable cap fs
-
Hi Mike,
-
This might not be the cap your looking for, but I'll
announce it before I even bother with the Ebay path.
-
I have a variable capacitor removed from an SB-220,
original part number is 26-14 or 26-145  (the 5 is kind
of faded out).  It tests value and high pot just fine,
was working well when removed the converted chassis.
-
To be honest, I don't remember if this cap is the tune
or the load, so check the part number in your manual.
-
Also remember there were some changes in the
original production run.  The yet unsolved "parasitics
was blamed on variable capacitor plate spacing,
so a different "fix" cap (increased plate spacing) was
supplied.  Both should work just fine (and fit about
the same) in a properly tamed amplifier.
-
Each version cap had it's own part number...
-
Email me direct if your interested in making an offer
for it.  It has a hair line crack in one of the ceramic
mounts which was repaired by the previous owner
and does not effect it's operation.  I purchased this
cap from Carl who appears to have dropped off the
radar screen.
-
Best of all, no arced plates or indications of abuse.
-
skipp
nospam4me@juno.com
-
> Anyone have a nice extra tuning cap (26-131)
> they want to sell?  One that
>does not have pits, burns, melts, etc...

The arced plates can be straightened, filed smooth and the cap will work
well.  The intermittent arcing is caused by an intermittent parasite at
110MHz.  Lower VHF Q suppressors lower VHF amplification.

>rebuilding my sons SB-220... swear he used this thing for a welder.
(He's
>an IK8, maybe that has something to do with it!!)  The wider spaced one
is
>ok in a pinch, but would rather use the origiinal 26-131 (saves anxiety
>about the bandswitch!)

Amen, Mike.

www.vcnet.com/measures.
end