[Amps] SB-220 Transformer Problem

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] SB-220 Transformer Problem
From: bjk@ihug.co.nz (Barry Kirkwood)
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 2002 12:47:11 -0000
Moral:
When powering up any unknown or suspect piece of mains powered equipment,
from hairdryers through to mission control, get youself a standard mains
cord and in series with the hot or phase lead wire a socket for an ordinary
electric light bulb or lamp.
Power up with a low watts lamp in circuit.
If lamp glows bright then solve the problem before moving up to higher power
lamps and finally to the raw power.
Run this course with the amp.
BTW
Do this whenever fitting replacement electrolytic caps. They need a period
at low volts to form them.
Resistance checks of a transformer may help (check windings to frame) and if
the transformer is good will give you an unforgettable demonstration of the
ability of a collapsing magnetic field to induce voltage in an inductance.
But resistance checks are unlikely to reveal a common failure mode of
transformers, shorted turns.
In the case of the transformer you mention, it is likely that the fault is
in the secondary, but other components eg the rectifiers, may be at fault.
If the electros failed they will likely take the rectifiers with them,then
the transformer, but the fuse should blow first.
Capacitance tests alone will not identify faulty electros. Filter caps do
not live by capacitance alone.
Yes, you can rewind the transformer secondary by hand, not a big deal.
If you want to know more let me know after you have diagnosed the fault.
73

end
Barry Kirkwood PhD ZL1DD
Signal Hill Homestay