[Amps] ETO Model 70 Amplifier

To: <amps@contesting.com>
Subject: [Amps] ETO Model 70 Amplifier
From: w9ac@arrl.net (Paul Christensen)
Date: Mon, 1 Jul 2002 16:41:38 -0400
> >Actually, the only part not still available and in production on the 70V is
> the power tube
> >(although not a trivial matter!).
> Is the anode container just a sealed canister, or are there complex baffles
> or somesuch inside? Is it beyond home fabrication to convert an air cooled
> 8877?

Right.  There is indeed a baffle contained within the tube's boiler assembly;
the purpose of which is to better regulate the
exhaustion of steam from the tube and to assist in minimizing boiled hot spots
on the anode surface.  The baffle is quite simple and
as I recall, a simple horizontal plate covers the exhaust area such that steam
is forced and distributed against the wall of the
boiler.

The 3CV1500A7 is nothing more than the 3CX1000A7 with a boiler.  I am convinced
that someone with good machining skills could
carefully retrofit a boiler onto a 3CX1000A7.  I imagine the old boiler could
be removed from the bad tube, cleaned-up and installed
on the new tube.  How difficult can this be for someone with the necessary
skills?

-Paul, W9AC